The University of Alabama offers an online Master of Arts in Secondary Education degree opportunity for teachers to advance careers.
Applicants can choose to specialize in one of three areas:
- English Language Arts: includes 6-12 certification, with a focus on the development of effective instruction in language use and learning.
- Reading: enhances techniques for the improvement of literacy in students, while offering techniques to train other teachers.
- Science: includes areas of biology, chemistry, physics or general science.
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- Alabama Class B teacher certification or equivalent in the area of secondary education English Language Arts
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Reading specialist concentration (36 credits for degree completion) also requires two full years of K-12 classroom teaching experience and PRAXIS for Teaching Reading (if certification is in a teaching field other than Elementary, Early Childhood, or Collaborative Special Education K-6)
Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
School Accreditation Statement
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges