Post-master's Certificate in Educational Leadership & Administration
The George Washington University
Position yourself to become a principal or administrator with the ability to lead a culture of teaching and learning, and inspire your school community to reach ever-higher goals with a Master of Arts in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration.
For more than 30 years, GW's graduate programs in Educational Leadership and Administration have fostered exceptional leadership skills in students. In this education administration degree program, you will focus on the needs of diverse educational communities and build the practical skills and knowledge necessary to improve student learning on the local, state or national level.
GW's program is nationally accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and nationally recognized by the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC). Completion of this degree may also prepare qualified candidates for principal or administrator licensure. This program's courses and internship experiences are designed to meet administrative certification requirements for the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia and other interstate compact agreement partner states.
Gain practical instruction in leadership, management, supervision of instruction and general supervisory principles from faculty members who are active in education, and develop your experience first-hand through two required internships.
Why a GW Master's in Educational Leadership and Administration?
- Tradition of Excellence: Join the community of exceptional educational leaders that GW has been cultivating for more than 30 years.
- Team Leadership: Gain valuable experience and surround yourself with different perspectives through group work and team leadership activities. Group work is incorporated in every course to simulate the workplace.
- Applied Coursework: Expand your knowledge and skills, and build on your professional portfolio by applying course concepts in a series of real-world education leadership projects.
- Internships: Build authentic leadership experience through observation and participation in two administrative internships, including a semester-long leadership project.
- Practice-Based Instructors: Learn from GW faculty members who are active in the field in a variety of K-12 education positions to gain practical insights in educational leadership.
Earn your Master of Arts in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration from the George Washington University (GW) and broaden your opportunities for a leadership position within your school, district or in higher education.
Educational Administration Career Opportunities
- Assistant principal
- Athletic director
- Central office administrator
- Department chair
- Director of admissions
- Education advisor
- Education consultant
- Higher education instructor
- Program director
Potential Employment Settings
- Public, private or charter P-12 schools
- Higher education institutions
- Government departments or agencies
- Consulting organizations
Post-Master's Programs Offered
GW offers a Post-master's Certificate in Educational Leadership and Administration and an Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership and Administration (campus or online).
Both the programs are ideal for students with a master's degree in education who seek further professional preparation for specific objectives. Completion of the Education Specialist degree or post-master's certificate may prepare qualified candidates for administrator/principal licensure.
Degree Level: Certificate
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Two (2) recommendations.
- Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript. Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be uploaded to your online application. Official transcripts are required only of applicants who are offered admission.
- In an essay of 250 to 500 words, state your purpose in undertaking graduate study at The George Washington University, describing your academic objectives, research interests, and career plans.
- A resumé is required.
The George Washington University (GW) was founded in 1821 and is located in Washington, D.C., the heart of international law, health care and business. This location and close relationships with prominent health care agencies and their officials distinguish the opportunities GW provides to students. GW's legacy of preparing leaders who create positive change begins with connecting them to the leaders of today.
Washington, D.C., isn't just where the George Washington University (GW) is located; it's what distinguishes the connections and opportunities we provide.
Located at the hub of international science, health policy and business, GW links you to renowned experts and institutions in the field through our program faculty and industry collaborators. Our programs are designed around emerging fields in cooperation with leading agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), and are led by active experts in the field. Connect with and learn from these authoritative health care leaders in programs on the forefront of industry trends.
GW's online programs are designed to give you immediate added value within your current organization while preparing you for advancement into more specialized roles upon completion. The flexible structure of an online degree allows you to maintain your personal and professional commitments while making prominent industry connections. Gain the knowledge and skills to create positive change in our ever-evolving health care system.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.