The online PhD in Nursing program is designed to educate nurses to ask and answer critical questions about human health. Graduates with this degree are in an elite group of less than 1 percent of all nurses, with career opportunities available in research and education.
Students work closely with research faculty who conduct clinical, educational, and health services-related research. The program incorporates weekly online experiences along with learning intensive on-campus weekends.
This online nursing program prepares nurses to excel at:
- Theoretical and methodological approaches to discovery science
- Tenure-track research or teaching at a university
- Post-doctoral research fellowships at universities or government agencies
- Nursing-related policy, education, and scientific discovery
% OnlineMostly Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationMaster Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Admission TestsGRE, Proof of English Language Proficiency (International Students)
Essay/Writing Sample, Interview, Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose/Intent
- This program requires one visit to campus for orientation as well as two weekends on campus per semester in years 1 and 2.