The George Washington University’s MSHS in Clinical Microbiology program curriculum provides eligibility for national certification examinations such as the ASCP Board of Certification Exam — a gold standard in global certification for medical laboratory professionals. Upon completion of this degree, students can build their career in a variety of settings, including diagnostic microbiology laboratories, research institutions, public health laboratories, biotechnology firms, pharmaceutical companies or governmental agencies.
MSHS IN CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY HIGHLIGHTS
- Prepare for the ASCP Board of Certification Exam: Get one step closer to becoming board-certified in clinical microbiology. Upon graduation, you will possess all of the skills and experience necessary to register for the exam.
- Practice-Based Faculty: Learn from seasoned professionals within the field of laboratory sciences, including those who have conducted research concerning mycobacterium tuberculosis, diabetes, and biothreat agent characterization.
- Real-World Experience: Learn by doing in a hands-on clinical rotation that not only allows you to apply your knowledge, but also enables you to sit for the board of certification exam.
- Employment Post-Graduation: Take your skills and conquer the job market. More than 95 percent of graduates secure a job in the field within six months of graduating.
- No GRE Required: The School of Medicine and Health Sciences programs do not require a GRE for admissions.
- Flexibility and Convenience: You lead a busy life. With flexible online courses, you can fit your degree into your schedule.
Graduates of this program gain the skills and experience necessary to pursue a variety of career options including:
- Microbiology or molecular biology lab scientist
- Biotechnology or government research associate
- MLT/MLS instructor and assistant professor
The Office of Student Financial Services is committed to providing students and their families with the information they need to navigate and understand the financial aid process. FAFSA Federal ID: 001444
- GPA of 3.0
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences, or a related science (e.g., Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology) from a regionally accredited institution
- National certification as a Technologist, Medical Technologist, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, or Medical Laboratory Sciences. Students with other certifications should contact the program office for eligibility criteria
- For international students, submit your official score of one of the following exams:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
School Accreditation Statement
Middle States Commission on Higher Education