An act of the 27th Legislature in 1901 founded the Girls Industrial College as a public institution that would become Texas Woman's University in 1957. The school had then and has now a dual mission: to provide a liberal education and to prepare young women "for the practical industries of the age" with a specialized education. Men have been admitted to TWU since 1972. TWU continues today as a public university that offers a comprehensive catalog of academic studies. TWU is the largest university primarily for women in the United States, with the main campus in Denton and health science centers in Dallas and Houston.
TWU offers bachelor's, master’s, and doctoral degrees from within the following colleges and schools:
- College of Arts & Sciences
- College of Health Sciences
- College of Nursing
- College of Professional Education
- Graduate School
- School of Management
Many of the certificates and degrees in all the schools may be earned completely online.
Accreditation & Licensing
Texas Woman’s University is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)