Texas Southern University was established in 1927 and operates today as a public, 4-year institution of higher learning located in the city of Houston, Texas. In 1927, Houston’s school board approved the funding of an African American junior college called the Colored Junior College. The success of the school was immediate and by 1931 the school received approval by the Southern Association of Colleges. Once the school incorporated four-year programs, it was renamed Houston College for Negroes. Throughout the mid-twentieth century, the school continued moving forward, adding graduate programs and a law school, changing names once more. Then, in 1951, students petitioned to have the school renamed and the title Texas Southern University came into existence.
Located just minutes from downtown Houston, the public Texas Southern University currently awards bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as well as doctoral programs. TSU houses ten colleges and schools along with several scholastic and research programs. TSU also supports online degrees and certificates.
Accreditation & Licensing
Texas Southern University is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)