Nurses with an existing master’s degree can gain an additional certification with the online Advanced Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner from SUNY Polytechnic Institute. The program provides nurses with advanced knowledge in providing mental health services to patients of all ages.
In addition to online synchronous and asynchronous coursework, students will complete 640 clinical hours under the supervision of nurse practitioners or physicians practicing in psychiatric mental health. Classes examine advances in diagnostic reasoning, biostatistics and epidemiology trends, and therapeutics in psychopharmacology. Graduates meet the educational requirements for national board certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
The online psychiatric nurse practitioner program prepares nurses for:
- Providing mental health diagnosis and treatment
- Creating and facilitating prevention and mental health promotion programs
- Interprofessional collaboration
- Leadership roles in clinics, hospitals, community agencies, and private practice
% Online100% Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationMaster Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Interview, Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose/Intent
- Applicants must have a master's degree in nursing from an accredited nursing program.
- Applicants must have a current, unrestricted, unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse in the state where they live/work and at least one year (2,000 hours) of work experience as a professional nurse.