The State University of New York at Oswego was founded in 1861 as the Oswego Primary Teachers' Training School by Edward Austin Sheldon who embraced and popularized some of the most innovative teaching methods of his day. In 1913, the campus moved from the city of Oswego to the current lakeside location following the construction and opening of what is now known as Sheldon Hall. In 1942, state legislation elevated the institution from a normal school to the degree-granting Oswego State Teachers College. In 1948, Oswego became one of the State University of New York's charter members. To meet the expanded need for specialized instruction, the institution broadened its academic perspective to become a full-fledged arts and sciences institution in the SUNY system and featuring a range of liberal and professional studies by 1962.
SUNY Oswego offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the following colleges and schools:
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- School of Business
- School of Communication, Media and the Arts
- School of Education
Interdisciplinary programs that cross traditional boundaries are also available, as well as online degrees, programs, and courses.
Accreditation & Licensing
SUNY College at Oswego is accredited by:
Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)