St. Philip’s College, one of the oldest and most diverse community colleges in the nation, is the only college to be federally designated as both a historically Black college and a Hispanic-serving institution. James Steptoe Johnston, a bishop of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church of the West Texas Diocese, founded St. Philip’s Normal and Industrial School in 1898, a school designed to educate and train recently emancipated slaves. The school, retaining the St. Philip’s Junior College name, affiliated with San Antonio College and the San Antonio Independent School District, marking the end of the college’s era as a private institution. St. Philip’s College is a member of the Alamo Colleges District and awards associate’s degrees and certificates. The Center for Distance Learning offers many programs 100% online.
Accreditation & Licensing
St. Philip’s College is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)