The online Ph.D. in Literacy prepares you to apply the latest research and specialized knowledge to create innovative solutions that meet the literacy needs of at-risk learners. The program prepares you for literacy education roles in schools (local, district, state or federal level) and universities as teacher educators.
In the Ph.D. in Literacy program, students will learn the tools to address the literacy discrepancies of diverse and at-risk youth through research, practice and evaluation. By enhancing this foundational aspect of learning, graduates will give students the skills to further their learning across all subject areas. The curriculum offers a holistic focus on at-risk learners taught by a practitioner faculty committed to the Vincentian mission of serving the underprivileged.
Customize your program by selecting one of these specialties:
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Educational Leadership
- Special Education
With a curriculum focusing on at-risk and diverse learning, the opportunities for careers will continue to grow as literacy development becomes more vital in schools and the workplace. All faculty members are fulltime and are active researchers in the field. SJU offers a unique focus on student success with mentoring, success resources and individual attention.
- Master's degree
- Applicant must have an undergraduate GPA of B or better, with initial teaching certification
- A minimum GPA of 3.2 is required for graduate courses
- Official transcripts of all previous course work
- A Statement of Goals for doctoral study
- A professional résumé or curriculum vitæ
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT) and/or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Analytical Written Section
Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) now administers both NCATE and TEAC accreditation. Current accreditation status under NCATE and TEAC for education programs will continue through the accreditation term, during which they will be CAEP Eligible.
School Accreditation Statement
Middle States Commission on Higher Education