Southwestern College has its roots in the tradition of the Methodist circuit riders, whose love of education helped shape the educational landscape of the 19th century. Founded in 1885 by the Southwest Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the college graduated its first class of three students June 3, 1889. The City of Winfield contributed resources to the original campus. In 1909 its name was changed from Southwest Kansas Conference College to Southwestern College. Traditional-aged students are housed and educated on a wooded 85-acre site in Winfield, Kansas. The curriculum and extensive co-curricular activities are designed to prepare Southwestern’s graduates for “leadership through service in a world without boundaries.”
Working adults of all ages complete college degrees through the Professional Studies program. On-ground centers are in several locations in Kansas and Oklahoma, but the majority of learners choose to complete classes online. Graduate degrees are offered both on the main campus and through Professional Studies, with the college enrolling its first doctoral students in 2012.
Accreditation & Licensing
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission