The online Family and Consumer Sciences degree offers students two tracks: a teaching certification track and another non-licensure track for educators and professionals seeking career advancement.
This program is offered through the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (Great Plains IDEA); regionally accredited schools working in partnership to provide students with online opportunities. Students apply at their school of choice.
The Family and Consumer Science program is offered through:
- Texas Tech University
- Central Washington
- North Dakota State University
- South Dakota State University
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
% Online100% Online
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Statement of Purpose/Intent
- A bachelor's degree in a family and consumer sciences content specialization or a related area is required.
- Students will need to choose and apply at a single home university. Requirements may vary, but typically include:
- Application form specific to the university
- Official transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of goals
- For the licensure track: state licensing standards vary from state-to-state. Prospective students should check with the appropriate state agency or university FCS teacher educator in the state where you want to be certified/licensed to obtain information about the certification/licensure standards in that state. You may also request information to learn more.