Santa Barbara City College offers the online Certificate of Achievement in Medical Coding Specialist. This certificate will train and educate students to:
- Abstract health data from medical records, assign a code to each diagnosis and procedure documented in the patient’s record.
- Demonstrate competence in the use of computerized encoders and groupers.
- Explain the relationship between accurate coding and reimbursement.
- Design and implement a coding monitoring program to ensure coding quality and reduce fraud and abuse.
- Prepare a casemix analysis for health care facilities/providers.
- Apply ethical coding principles.
- Official high school and college (if applicable) transcripts
- English and/or math placement test (may be waived based on SAT, ACT, or AP scores, or previous college courses)
School Accreditation Statement
Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges