Salve Regina University was founded in 1934 and continues today as a private, Catholic institution of higher learning located in the city of Newport, Rhode Island. This co-educational, non-profit school that was chartered by the State of Rhode Island in 1934. The name Salve Regina means “Hail Holy Queen” in Latin. The school officially opened its doors in 1947 after the Sisters of Mercy acquired the land and the original building, Ochre Court. In the 1970s, the college became co-educational and added graduate programs. In 1991, the school was granted university status and finally added the doctoral programs in 1995.
Salve Regina University awards associate’s, bachelor's, and master's degrees, as well as graduate certificates and doctoral degrees. In addition to the traditional on-campus courses, Salve Regina offers a variety of online and distance education learning programs for both traditional and nontraditional students.
Accreditation & Licensing
New England Commission of Higher Education