The MS in Education / Deaf and Hard of Hearing program is designed to provide you with the abilities to effectively teach students PK-12 with varying levels of hearing impairment. Upon graduation, students will also be granted a PA-issued certification, which is recognized in most states.
Throughout the program, you will learn to use the latest technologies to facilitate meaningful and differentiated learning experiences, as well as how to communicate effectively with deaf and hard of hearing students. You’ll be encouraged to set goals related to improving your sign language and alternative communication skills.
This program prepares educators for certification and to acquire the competencies needed to support learning and development in children with hearing loss. As such, it is ideally suited for:
- Special education teachers seeking an additional certification
- General education teachers with an interest in becoming a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- General education teachers with deaf or hard of hearing students in their classrooms
- Bachelor’s level professionals or paraprofessionals who are seeking initial certification and certification as a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Related service personnel (e.g. Speech/Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists) who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Sign Language interpreters who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing*
* These individuals’ credentials will be individually evaluated and additional pedagogy coursework may be required.
% OnlineMostly Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Saint Joseph’s University is accredited by:
Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose/Intent
- This program requires an internship experience.