M.S. Ed. in Special Education / Deaf & Hard of Hearing Education (N-12)
Saint Joseph's University
The MS in Education / Deaf and Hard of Hearing program is designed to provide you with the abilities to effectively teach students PK-12 with varying levels of hearing impairment. Upon graduation, students will also be granted a PA-issued certification, which is recognized in most states.
Throughout the program, you will learn to use the latest technologies to facilitate meaningful and differentiated learning experiences, as well as how to communicate effectively with deaf and hard of hearing students. You’ll be encouraged to set goals related to improving your sign language and alternative communication skills.
This program prepares educators for certification and to acquire the competencies needed to support learning and development in children with hearing loss. As such, it is ideally suited for:
- Special education teachers seeking an additional certification
- General education teachers with an interest in becoming a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- General education teachers with deaf or hard of hearing students in their classrooms
- Bachelor’s level professionals or paraprofessionals who are seeking initial certification and certification as a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Related service personnel (e.g. Speech/Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists) who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Sign Language interpreters who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing*
* These individuals’ credentials will be individually evaluated and additional pedagogy coursework may be required.
Degree Level: Master
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree with active teacher certification. Must have basic Sign Language competency. This program is intended for individuals who have earned at least initial Standard/Level 1 sign language certification or have equivalent education and experience working with deaf/hard of hearing students.
Saint Joseph’s University is a comprehensive, internationally recognized university located on the edge of metropolitan Philadelphia, with students from across the country and around the world, both online and on campus. Saint Joseph's University is regionally accredited — the highest level of accreditation a traditional college or university can obtain — by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Our national rankings and AACSB accreditation in the Haub School indicate the high quality of our undergraduate, graduate, and executive programs.
For 160 years, Saint Joseph’s University has helped men and women prepare for their professional lives by providing a rigorous Jesuit education that incorporates the Ignatian credo of cura personalis, or care of the entire person. Guided by a faculty committed to both teaching and scholarship, a Saint Joseph’s education challenges and expands knowledge, deepens understanding, emphasizes critical thinking and communication, fosters the development of moral and spiritual character, and builds enduring pride.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.