Nurses with a master’s degree who want to change the focus of their practice can pursue this Post Graduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. Students in this program learn to care for individuals of all ages with mental health care needs.
Graduates will be able to practice in a wide variety of settings including clinics, human service centers, urgent care facilities, and physician practices. Courses explore ways for the PMHNP to advocate for interventions that promote improved health for patients. After completion of this online Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program, graduates are eligible to take the national certification exam.
Classes examine topics such as:
- Advanced health assessment, clinical reasoning, and diagnosis across the lifespan
- Family mental health psycho-pharmacology
- Advanced therapeutic interventions
- Diagnosis and management of specialty populations in advanced psychiatric nursing
% OnlineMostly Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
School Accreditation & Licensing
Saint Francis Medical Center College of Nursing is accredited by:
Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationMaster Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Essay/Writing Sample, Interview, Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s)
- Must have BSN and MSN derees from regionally accredited institutions and ACEN, CNEA, or CCNE accredited programs
- Submit proof of current, unencumbered RN licensure
- One year professional nursing experience preferred
- Programs prepare students for professional licensure or certification in Illinois. Additional education requirements or special authorization may be required from the professional licensing or certification agencies for states outside of Illinois.