Nurses with a bachelor’s degree can advance their career and focus on the care of critically ill infants with the Doctor of Nursing Practice / Neonatal Nurse Practitioner degree program from Saint Francis. Graduates are eligible to sit for national Neonatal Nurse Practitioner certification and take on leadership roles in nursing.
Students gain advanced competencies through studies of theory, cultural diversity, health policy, and ethics. This online Nurse Practitioner degree combines scientific knowledge with new and current approaches in nursing practice to promote improved patient outcomes. Graduates will be prepared to lead and manage complex clinical situations.
Courses span topics including:
- Advanced health assessment and diagnostic reasoning for the neonate
- Advanced neonatal pharmacotherapeutics
- Health care policy and financial management
- Cultural competency for advanced practice
% OnlineMostly Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
School Accreditation & Licensing
Saint Francis Medical Center College of Nursing is accredited by:
Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Essay/Writing Sample, Interview, Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Resume/CV
- Requires BSN from a regionally accredited institution and ACEN, CNEA, or CCNE accredited program
- Must have passed undergraduate health assessment and nursing research courses with minimum C grade
- Submit proof of current, unencumbered RN licensure and Neonatal Resuscitation Program certificate
- Must have equivalent of two years of full-time clinical experience as a RN in a Level III or IV NICU within the past 5 years
- One year professional nursing experience preferred
- Programs prepare students for professional licensure or certification in Illinois. Additional education requirements or special authorization may be required from the professional licensing or certification agencies for states outside of Illinois.