Program Overview

Roane State Community College currently offers an Early Childhood Education Associate’s Degree, which prepares students to work with children in various learning environments.  Students will learn about child development and interaction theories and set them to practice.  Courses include child growth and development, physical and nutritional needs, care and guidance, and communication skills with children and families.  Students will learn to foster language, emotional, physical and social development of children.   Upon receiving their diploma, students will be able to plan and implement developmentally sound programs for children.  Graduates can find employment in child development and care facilities, schools (private and public), recreational centers, Head Start programs, and other programs designed for young children.  

The program requires 60 credit hours which a full time student can complete within two years.   Required courses include Early Childhood Curriculum, Family Dynamics and Community involvement, and Development Assessment.  There are two practicums as well, plus electives not only in Early Childhood but in Humanities, Math, Social Science, and Science.  Students are also required to take English Composition and Speech Communication.

Because of the nature of the work, it is important that students gain a sound foundational knowledge base and skill set needed in working with a wide range of children, families, and communities.   Also, it is important to note that the physical and emotional health must be compatible with the student’s ability to provide sound care for children.  Other requirements such as mobility, communication, and interpersonal skills must be considered when pursuing a career in child care.  Those with a felony conviction may have limited employment opportunities and may not even be able to complete the degree, depending on the nature of the crime, therefore, if a student is concerned about anything as a possible limitation, they should contact the admissions counselor.

Similar Programs:

    Program Details

    Degree Level: Associate

    Delivery Format: 100% Online

    Accelerated Degree:

    Accreditation & Licensing

    Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges

    School Overview

    Roane State Community College is a public, 2-year institution located in Harriman, Tennessee. The school was established in 1969 by the Tennessee General Assembly and operates under the authority of the Tennessee Board of Regents. The first classes at Roane State Community College were offered in 1971 and were moved to the current location in 1973. The main campus is in Harriman but there are other campuses in Oak Ridge, LaFollette, Crossville, Jamestown, Knoxville, Lenoir City, Huntsville, and Wartburg.

    Roane State offers career-preparation programs, transfer programs, and online degrees. Generally, the school aims to provide study options for students who wish to either transfer to a senior institution (4-year college or university) or to acquire a career after college. There are distance education and online degree options available for individuals who are interested in Roane State. Generally, the distance education program allows for a student to take a course completely online. Similarly, Roane State participates in the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) system, which offers a full range of graduate and undergraduate degrees, certificates, and diplomas.


    This program has not been ranked.


    Success! Thank you for submitting a review. You may not see your review immediately as it still subject to review.

    All Programs