Navigate a Changing Communication Landscape with Confidence. The media, technologies, and platforms used to create and deliver messages consistently change. In effective communication, only one fact remains constant — the proven principles, strategies, and methodology behind communication theory.
The online Master of Arts in Communication at Queens University of Charlotte’s Knight School of Communication pairs emerging media with communication theory so you can develop compelling messages that engage and inspire your audience. An optional Integrated Digital Strategy concentration further develops your expertise on a variety of social, digital, and emerging media tools, as well as an understanding of digital communities. You’ll be prepared to create comprehensive digital communication plans using these media.
GRE Waiver Available to Qualified Applicants
Through current and relevant coursework, the program provides you with a foundation that you can build on throughout your career. It focuses on proven communication principles and gives you the ability to adapt them to today’s fast-moving, and ever-changing technologies and trends.
- Create comprehensive and cohesive communication plans that engage, inspire, and build trust
- Master communication theory and its application to create practical strategies
- Craft and communicate an authentic brand identity
- Use and leverage traditional, digital, and emerging media tools effectively
- Discover the relationship between leadership and communication
Learn how to inspire and engage others, prompt them to act, and ignite change in organizations and communities through meaningful messages.
Coursework That Counts
Taught by an award-winning faculty, coursework in the online MA in Communication uses an entrepreneurial, innovative approach built on solid practice and theory. The curriculum includes a hands-on capstone project that will provide valuable insights into communication strategy and practice.
“We want every student in the MA in Communication to be equipped with communication theory alongside practical training in emerging media forms.”
– Zachary White, Ph.D., Graduate Professor, Knight School of Communication
You will learn to:
- Identify the needs and motivations of different audiences
- Analyze the best communication formats for different situations
- Organize communication tactics and technologies into a coherent strategy
- Build a relationship with listeners and customers
Top Industries Where Communication Matters Most
Whether you are trying to attract more customers, manage your company’s brand, or speak out for your community, this program will change the way you engage with others and transform your professional profile.
- Marketing, public relations, and corporate communication
- Leadership and organization development
- Training, consulting and human resources
- Community affairs and development
- Journalism and education
The program consists of 12 courses, or 13 with the Integrated Digital Strategy concentration.
- Communication Fluency 3 hrs.
- The Social Creation of Organizing 3 hrs.
- Constructing Messages and Audiences 3 hrs.
- Communicating Mindfully 3 hrs.
- Communication and Culture in a Networked Society 3 hrs.
- Leadership, Empowerment, and the Management of Meaning 3 hrs.
- Strategic Communication for Global Audiences 3 hrs.
- The Mediated Self and Changing Relationships 3 hrs.
- Creativity and Networks 3 hrs.
- Organizational Identity and Brand 3 hrs.
- Expanding Communication Boundaries 3 hrs.
- Launching Passion into Practice 3 hrs.
Integrated Digital Strategy Concentration:
Complete Strategic Communication for Global Audiences, Creativity and Networks, and Organizational Identity and Brand from the required courses, plus:
- Digital Experience Design 3 hrs.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required
- Two admissions essays (contact a program manager for more details)
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- Resume outlining academic and professional background and recognitions, honors and awards
- Applicants with less than three years of relevant work experience or an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 may be required to submit an acceptable GMAT or GRE score to augment their application package.
School Accreditation Statement
Queens University of Charlotte is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees.