Master of Science in Education / Special Education
The online MSEd in Special Education program sees the entire education landscape and combines practical experience with the latest breakthroughs and technology. You will learn new ways to ensure that students with special needs succeed.
The Online Master of Science in Education in Special Education at Purdue University focuses on mild intervention with an option to add on additional coursework in intense intervention. Several options are available to meet your career needs:
- Master's only: Intended for those seeking knowledge in the area of special education. No practicum is required; an additional elective course is taken in its place.
- Master's with initial special education licensure: Intended for those seeking a master's degree as well as an initial license in special education in mild intervention or mild and intense intervention. This track requires practicum and student teaching field experiences.
- Master's with advanced special education licensure: Intended for those who already have initial (teaching) licensure and are looking to add an advanced licensure in mild intervention or mild and intense intervention. This track requires practicum experiences.
- Master's with advanced special education licensure – intense intervention only: Intended for those who already have a special education teaching license in mild intervention and looking for advanced licensure in intense intervention. This track requires practicum experiences.
The program will give you the ability to:
- Understand the various characteristics and categories of disabilities.
- Apply methods of learning assessment for students with challenges.
- Provide curricula adapted to individual students' needs and educational plans.
- Use current technologies to promote increased mobility, communication, self-determination and cognitive functioning.
- Teach appropriate functional and social skills to students with challenging behaviors.
This online special education program is aligned with edTPA, a performance-based, subject-specific assessment and support system designed to meet state and national standards – including Common Core State Standards and the Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC) – to ensure new teachers are able to teach each student effectively. Students complete four professional portfolios and submit unedited video recordings of live teaching sessions to complete edTPA requirements.
Delivery Format:100% Online
Tuition Basis :Per Semester Credit
In State Rate:$347.85
Out of State Rate:$668.80
Estimated Degree Cost - In State:$10,435.50
Estimated Degree Cost - Out Of State:$20,064.00
Required Admission Tests:GRE
International Students Accepted:Yes
- A telephone interview
- Official transcripts
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Three professional letters
- A personal statement
- The GRE may not be required under the following conditions:
- Applicant already possesses an advanced degree from a regionally accredited college or university, and graduated with a cumulative grade-point average that is a 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant’s undergraduate cumulative grade-point average is a 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
Accreditation & Licensing
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.