Prepare to become a medical assistant. Gain the skills to work directly with patients, as well as perform laboratory, clinical, and medical office procedures. Complete your courses online, on your schedule.
- Program Highlights: Study medical law, bioethics, medical terminology, pharmacology, human disease, medical office management, medical coding and insurance, clinical competencies, human anatomy, and physiology.
- CAAHEP Accredited: The Medical Assistant Certificate is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.CAAHEP.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
- Certifications: Sit for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Registered Medical Assistant (RMA), National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA), Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA), or Clinical Medical Assistant Certification (CMAC) exam as part of the program.*
- Externship and Clinical: Complete an onsite clinical experience as well as an externship to gain real-world experience and build your resume.†
- Bachelor’s Degree Pathway: Use qualified credits earned in the medical assistant certificate toward a Purdue Global bachelor’s degree in areas such as health care administration, health science, health and wellness, or nutrition.‡
Purdue Global cannot guarantee employment or career advancement. Certification and licensing boards in Washington and South Dakota have specific educational requirements for a program to lead to certification as a medical assistant, which is a precondition for employment in those states. This program meets the educational requirements to obtain certification in Washington and South Dakota. Refer to Licensure.PurdueGlobal.edu for additional information on licensure and state authorizations.
* Residents of all states are responsible for understanding the requirements of optional certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.
† Some Purdue University Global programs are not 100% online; some programs require you to gain hands-on experience in a real-world work environment. Contact an Admissions Advisor for additional information.
‡ The University cannot guarantee that students will be granted admission to any future programs. Speak to an Advisor about transfer credit opportunities and see the University Catalog for the Prior Learning Assessment policy.
% Online100% Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Purdue University Global is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLCommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationHigh School or Equivalent
Official High School Transcript/GED Score