K–12 teachers or those interested in a career in teaching can enhance or gain new skills in the areas of educational leadership, teaching skills in language and literacy, and working with special needs students. Complete your coursework online, on your schedule.
- Program Highlights: Study transforming teaching practice, classroom management, curriculum design, educational leadership, action research, teaching exceptional students, research methods for education and instructional technology, or approaches to literacy instruction.
- Career Opportunities: Teaching leadership, education administration and principalship, K–12 teaching, professional development, career/technical education teaching, curriculum development, mentoring
- NBCT Tuition Savings: National Board-Certified Teachers can transfer credit for up to three courses toward their degree.*
- Certification: If your goal is to become a certified teacher, Purdue Global offers a Classroom Pathways Bundle to help you become certified in specific states through the American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (American Board) Plus+ Program in specific states.†
- Educational Leadership
- Teaching Literacy and Language
- Teaching Students With Special Needs
Program is not available in all states. Contact an Admissions Advisor for details. Purdue Global cannot guarantee employment or career advancement. Purdue Global cannot recommend students who complete the Master of Science in Education (MSE) for licensure. Licensing requirements for teaching grades K-12 vary by state. Earning a master’s degree could provide you with the background and practical experience to meet nationally recognized standards; however, enrollment in the MSE is not required for pursuing a state alternative certification program. The program is not state approved for teacher certification or endorsements of any kind, and Purdue Global makes no representations or warranties as to whether the degree or any individual courses meet any specific state’s requirements for licensure or certification. Refer to Licensure.PurdueGlobal.edu for additional information on licensure and state authorizations.
* Purdue Global does not guarantee transferability of credit. See the University Catalog for the Prior Learning Assessment policy.
† Students must pass the American Board examinations to be eligible for certification in AR, AZ, FL, ID, MS, MO, ND, NH, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN (Putnam County Public Schools, Crockett County Public Schools, and Tullahoma City Public Schools only), UT, or WI. Prior to enrolling in the Classroom Pathways Bundle, students must confirm they are eligible for a state alternative certification program. Students must confirm costs, deadlines, additional fees, required approvals, residency, and continuing requirements with American Board (ABCTE.org).
% Online100% Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Purdue University Global is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLCommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Official College Transcript(s)
- The Master of Science in Education does not lead to initial teacher certification or teaching endorsements.
- Applicants must submit one of the following items:
- A copy of your prekindergarten through 12th grade teaching license (current or expired)
- A copy of your teaching contract showing evidence of employment as a prekindergarten through 12th grade Teacher of Record/Classroom Teacher
- On school letterhead, a letter from the principal at the school of your employ that clearly designates you as the Teacher of Record/Classroom Teacher