Students in the online master’s in Counseling degree program have two options related to substance abuse training. The Substance Abuse Counseling specialization can be completed with 48 credit hours, or add 12 additional credits for the Substance Abuse Counseling and Education track.
Courses in this online Substance Abuse Counseling degree program are designed for working professionals already actively involved in or entering fields related to Substance Abuse Counseling. Students will examine the prevention strategies, treatment philosophies, and legislative history of rehabilitation. A practicum experience allows students to practice skills and knowledge gained in class in a supervised real-world setting.
Students can expect course topics including the following:
- Substance abuse and mental health counseling in community settings
- Issues in clinical supervision
- Treatment of co-occurring disorders
- Psychopharmacology of illicit and licit drugs
% Online100% Online
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA2.5 or above (4.0 scale)
Admission TestsProof of English Language Proficiency (International Students)
Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Statement of Purpose/Intent
- Bachelor's degree or higher in psychology or related field is desired and/or related experience