Find out more about Northcentral University

Doctor of Philosophy in Education / E-Learning

Program Details

The Doctor of Philosophy in Education (PhD-Ed) program is suitable for students who want to combine a strong base of theoretical knowledge with an individualized focus to conduct research in and about PK-12, postsecondary and adult learning environments. 

PhDs in Education are found in many different roles in academia, industry and not-for-profit organizations, including educational consultant, academic researcher, policy maker, educational theorist, and faculty member or administrator in a higher education or organizational setting. Students pursuing the PhD in Education have the opportunity to customize and focus their program through their coursework, doctoral research courses and the doctoral dissertation.

E-learning is growing and continues to evolve, with everything from completely online class offerings, including massive open online courses (MOOCs), and hybrid classes, to web-enhanced on-campus classroom environments. The Doctor of Philosophy in Education in E-Learning at Northcentral University will develop your knowledgebase in curriculum development, design, and course delivery using technology and online learning management systems. 

In your E-Learning PhD courses, you will research and practice hands-on application in visioning, planning, and designing an e-learning environment. You will also examine the legal aspects of e-learning; technology resources; teaching and learning in synchronous and asynchronous environments; and instructional design for e-learning as you work One-to-One with a member of the doctoral faculty in each of your courses.


  • Admission to the Doctor of Philosophy in Education program requires a conferred post-baccalaureate master’s degree and/or doctoral degree from a regionally or nationally accredited academic institution
  • Send your official transcripts from other schools you attended

Accreditation & Licensing

Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission


This degree is not authorized for residents of Arkansas.