Bachelor of Arts in Social Science with a Preliminary Single Subject Credential (California)
The Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Social Science with a Preliminary Single Subject Credential combines rigorous coursework in history and the social sciences with training in educational methodology to prepare candidates for careers as teachers of social studies and history at the middle and secondary school levels. The program introduces students to a variety of fields in the social sciences and concentrates on World History, U.S. History, and California History. Students examine worlds, times, places and cultures--including their own--in ways they have never considered and they develop strong skills in critical thinking, reading, writing, and researching. The educational methodology and student teaching portions of the program prepare candidates for professional work as single subject social studies or history teachers in a changing cultural and economic environment.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Assess the significance of major trends in World History
- Assess the significance of major trends in U.S. History
- Analyze a variety of primary sources
- Analyze secondary sources for their arguments and use of supporting evidence
- Discuss current concerns, new theories, new evidence, and issues that shape interpretation in history and the social sciences
- Conduct research in history and the social sciences supported by appropriate primary and secondary source materials
- Delineate the central demographic, economic, and political developments in the history of California from the eve of Spanish settlement to the present
- Integrate educational technology to meet the needs of all learners
- Describe how to support growth in cognitive, social, physical, and emotional domains
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the learning needs of students through the creation of positive learning environments
- Utilize systematic observations, documentation, and other effective assessment strategies in a responsible manner to facilitate and account for learning and to support positive growth
- Design, implement, and evaluate standards-based lesson plans for learning and achievement in content areas
- Demonstrate professional standards and ethics
- Utilize different teaching strategies to accomplish teaching and learning goals
Degree Level: Bachelor
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission
High School Diploma or GED required.
Program only open to residents of California.
Since 1971, National University has been dedicated to making lifelong learning opportunities accessible, challenging, and relevant to a diverse student population. As a nonprofit institution, National University invests in its students by providing them with quality educational instruction and learning technologies, superior faculty, and exemplary student services.
National University offers undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs from the following schools and colleges:
- School of Business and Management
- Sanford College of Education
- School of Engineering and Computing
- School of Health and Human Services
- School of Professional Studies
- College of Letters and Sciences
More than 70 National University degree programs are available 100 percent online.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.