Find out more about Michigan State University

Take the first step today

Talk with an Enrollment Counselor specializing in
Applied Behavior Analysis in Special Education - Graduate Certificate.

 Your privacy is important and your data is secure.

Program Details

Michigan State University offers a program for individuals to earn a graduate certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis in Special Education. Students can use knowledge learned in this course to plan, carry out, and manage behavior analytic curriculums for people who have autism or other related disabilities. The requirements for this course can be completed through a combination of coursework and an independent fieldwork experience.

The main goal of this program is to prepare students for careers as science practitioners who specialize in applying behavior analysis to resolve issues. This program involves a total of six courses that can be completed within two years. The courses are Applied Behavior Analysis I, Autism Spectrum Disorders: Assessment and Intervention, Autism Spectrum Disorders: Advanced Topics, Applied Behavior Analysis II: Ethical Conduct for the Behavior Analyst, Verbal Behavior in Education, and Single-case Experimental Research Design.

The last course is research-based, with a combination of direct observation and single-case experimental designs. The goal is to recognize evidence-based practices in education. Students will become well-versed in experimental analysis of an disabled individual’s behavior through conducting, designing, and evaluation research.

In order to be considered for admittance into this program, students must have at least a 3.0 GPA in an undergraduate degree program. A master’s degree from an accredited institution is also required.


Candidates must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in their undergraduate degree program. The BCBA credential requires a master's degree. Students who are applying to the graduate certificate program and are not completing a concurrent master's or doctoral program must already have a master's degree from an accredited university.

Accreditation & Licensing

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission