PhD. In Counselor Education and Supervision
The Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling (Ph.D.) degree with a concentration in Counselor Education and Supervision is designed for individuals interested in advanced research methods and program evaluation. Liberty University asks students to complete 63 total credit hours in order to obtain this degree. In addition, students will need to complete a six credit hour internship, as well as a six credit hour dissertation.
While 63 credit hours are required for this program, students may be able to transfer up to 15 credit hours into the program. A few of the core courses include Qualitative Research, Personality Testing, and Applied Counseling Theories. The concentration courses involve Counseling Supervision, Teaching & Learning, and Advanced Career Counseling. The dissertation courses, which encompass 12 credit hours, involve a Quantitative Research Seminar, two Dissertation Proposal & Research courses, and the Dissertation Defense.
The skills students should gain in this program are advanced teaching, counseling, and supervision abilities. This degree is intended to show students how to lead and advocate for the counseling profession, including evaluating current theories and practices. Within this program, individuals will also learn how to conduct research in a manner that is valid, reliable, and ethical. This degree will also allow students to think critically and write effectively within their career, as well as understand and practice social and professional ethics.
Some potential careers available with this degree are a licensed counselors, professor, organization counselor, and church counselors. Areas where graduates have entered upon obtaining this degree include hospitals, higher education, government agencies, rehabilitation centers, and nonprofit organizations.
Degree Level: Doctorate
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accreditation & Licensing
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. This is the regional accrediting body for southern states.
A Regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree that reveals evidence of fulfilling CACREP entry level standards (our current pre-requisite courses) with a minimum of 3.25 GPA.
Additionally, students must have completed the MAT with a total score of at least 400 OR a GRE score of at least 300 and a 4.0 or better on the analytic writing section.
Counseling licensure or a minimum of at least one year of clinical experience with the intention of obtaining counseling licensure prior to graduation.
Training Champions for Christ since 1971
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible. One of our Admissions Counselors is ready to assist you with this process. Here is what you can expect from us:
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
*excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Benefits of Attending Liberty University
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements.
- Credit for prior training, certification, licensure, experience, and learning, and more such as:
- Real Estate
- Emergency Response
- Courses taught from a Christian worldview.
- 8 start dates a year, with an 8 week course format.
- 87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid.
Tuition discounts for
- Military service members, including active duty, retired, veterans, and their spouses.
- Emergency Response Personnel
Corporate Tuition Assistance
- Deferred – If you company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay for your classes.
Other convenient payment options are available
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.