Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology
The Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology program offers in-depth instruction on the world’s music and cultures. The program will to cover topics such as ethnomusicology foundations, music education, and ethnomusicologist responsibility. Students within the program will also have the opportunity to evaluate current trends, research, and performances found within the field of ethnomusicology. Upon completion of the program, students may find careers as a musician or pastor.
The program is designed to have four main educational elements. Within the Scholarship and Research part of the program, students will have the opportunity to learn about ethnomusicology history, read academic papers, and evaluate a variety of application techniques within the field. The Skill Development section provides students instruction on the world’s music theories, annotations, transcription processes, and cultures. The Performance section requires students to participate in an ethnic music performance or ensemble. The last section, called Application, requires students to apply their knowledge to an internship and towards the completion of a thesis project.
The program is delivered entirely online. However, the program’s residency requires students to complete two, on-campus intensives. Intensives are one-week long, accelerated courses that provide students the opportunity to collaborate with other students and instructors within classes and workshops. The program’s intensives are only offered in the summer.
To successfully earn the certificate, students must complete 45 credit hours. The required 45 credits are divided into 36 Foundational Studies and nine Elective credits. Some Foundational Studies courses are Introduction to Ethnomusicology, Resources & Materials in Ethnomusicology, Research Methods in Ethnomusicology. To complete the elective requirement, students must complete two courses that focus on music found within a particular region, culture, or religion. Some of the elective’s focuses are Native America, Islam, China, and Africa.
Degree Level: Master
Delivery Format: Hybrid
Accreditation & Licensing
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. This is the regional accrediting body for southern states.
Students must have earned a bachelor’s degree from either a regionally or nationally accredited academic institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Submit TOEFL scores.
Students will need to submit an audition tape- can be any type of audio recording.
Students will need to attend an admissions interview.
Training Champions for Christ since 1971
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible. One of our Admissions Counselors is ready to assist you with this process. Here is what you can expect from us:
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
*excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Benefits of Attending Liberty University
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements.
- Credit for prior training, certification, licensure, experience, and learning, and more such as:
- Real Estate
- Emergency Response
- Courses taught from a Christian worldview.
- 8 start dates a year, with an 8 week course format.
- 87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid.
Tuition discounts for
- Military service members, including active duty, retired, veterans, and their spouses.
- Emergency Response Personnel
Corporate Tuition Assistance
- Deferred – If you company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay for your classes.
Other convenient payment options are available
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.