Johns Hopkins’ Advanced Academic Programs nine-course online or on-campus MA in Writing program reflects the school's international reputation for academic rigor and creative innovation. In this workshop-centered, 3-year program, you will choose a concentration option in fiction or nonfiction and have options for summer residencies around the world.
Some students go on to careers in journalism, teaching, law or corporate writing. Others go on to author nonfiction, short stories, novels and other works. No matter your goals, you will graduate with advanced writing skills and the deep understanding of the writing profession.
As a graduate you will:
- Effectively use the professional techniques of fiction and nonfiction in your own work.
- Design a plan for entering the world of publishing or related professions after graduation.
- Formulate honest, constructive responses to peer writing in the workshop environment.
- Evaluate your own growth as a writer, including your sense of yourself as a writer and changes in your writing processes.
- Display a portfolio of complete writings — stories, essays, articles and book chapters — of potentially publishable work with literary merit.
Complete core courses that include:
- Contemporary American Writers
- Fiction Techniques or Nonfiction Techniques
- Thesis and Publication
The curriculum also includes several writing electives and three workshop courses in options such as fiction, nonfiction, memoir and experimental fiction.
Some of our graduates go on to careers in journalism, teaching, law or corporate writing. Others go on to author nonfiction, short stories, novels and other works. No matter your goals, you will graduate with advanced writing skills and the deep understanding of the writing profession.
% Online100% Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Johns Hopkins University is accredited by:
Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Admission TestsProof of English Language Proficiency (International Students)
Essay/Writing Sample, Official College Transcript(s), Statement of Purpose/Intent