The Jewish Theological Seminary (JTS) was founded in 1886 through the efforts of two distinguished rabbis and a group of prominent lay leaders from Sephardic congregations in Philadelphia and New York. Its mission was to preserve the knowledge and practice of historical Judaism. In 1887, JTS held its first class of ten students in the vestry of the Spanish-Portuguese Synagogue, New York City's oldest congregation.
Since then, JTS has greatly expanded its mission, creating a beautiful campus and evolving into the prestigious center of Jewish learning it is today. A Jewish university with a world-class faculty and a diverse student body, JTS grants undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees through its five schools and offers enriching programs for the Jewish community in the United States, Israel, and around the world. JTS schools and facilities include
- the Gershon Kekst Graduate School
- the Rabbinical School
- H. L. Miller Cantorial School
- William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education
- Albert A. List College of Jewish Studies