The online Master of Education degree with a concentration in Special Education program is designed for practicing classroom teachers seeking initial licensure in special education for students with mild to moderate disabilities. The curriculum aligns to the initial licensure standards established by the Council for Exceptional Children as well as state licensure requirements for Indiana. Courses are designed to provide participants with methods and materials to serve students with exceptional needs through mild to moderate intervention.
% Online100% Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
School Accreditation & Licensing
Indiana Wesleyan University is accredited by:
Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA2.75 or above (4.0 scale)
Official College Transcript(s), Occupational License
- This program requires students to complete clinical experiences across a variety of grade levels, settings, and disability types.
- Candidates seeking acceptance into the M.Ed. with a major in Special Education program leading to Exceptional Needs – Mild Intervention licensure in the state of Indiana must have successfully completed or obtained one of the following:
- A current and valid Indiana elementary teaching license, or
- A three-credit hour course in phonics (undergraduate or graduate level) with a minimum grade of C, or
- A passing score on an Indiana CORE exam