The online Master of Arts in English degree is taken in a two-part “stackable” structure that provides broad training in the primary areas of English studies. With this English degree, students first complete a graduate certificate in literature, composition studies, or language and literature and then use the remainder of the coursework to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
Coursework explores the core principles of writing and literature pedagogy, the linguistic structure and history of English literature, and a wide variety of reading strategies associated with genre and close reading. With this English degree, you will gain skills and knowledge to conduct archival research, develop analytical and presentation skills through the study of literature, and learn to appreciate the current trends in digital humanities. The curriculum focuses on areas that include:
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- Reading strategies and literary practices
- Approaches to composition and writing instruction
- Research using electronic resources
- Developments and trends in the digital humanities
% Online100% Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Indiana University Online is accredited by:
Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Essay/Writing Sample, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Statement of Purpose/Intent
- A BA in English (or a related bachelor's degree in education with an English specialization, concentration, or outside area) or Two years of secondary teaching experience in literature or composition classes.