Find out more about Indiana State University

Receive more information about

Student Affairs and Higher Education M.S.

Program Details

Indiana State University offers a Master of Science in Student Affairs and Higher Education degree to students who wish to earn this degree in a completely online format. The curriculum requires students to fulfill a total of 39 credit hours. During this time, students must complete 3 credit hours in research courses, 24 credit hours in student affairs and higher education courses, 12 credit hours in practicum and internship experiences, and 1-6 credit hours in an optional thesis.

This degree is ideal for professionals who seek advanced skills needed in order to obtain positions such as counseling, guidance, deans in universities, colleges, and other higher education levels. The program focuses on the following performance areas: residence halls, student development, management, admissions, financial aid, student activities, student health promotion, career development, non-traditional student populations, and other areas. During this graduate program, all students must have employment in an approved position in student affairs and higher education. This allows the student to directly apply what they have learned in the classroom in a professional setting. This program may be completed in 3 years, if all classes are taken online.

The Student Affairs and Higher Education courses include the following: Legal Aspects of Educational Administration, Introduction to Student Affairs and Higher Education, and Student Development: Theory, Assessment, and Application.


Students must have earned one of the following: a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale in the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework, an approved assistantship (on-campus applicants only), or experience in an approved area of student affairs or higher education (distance education applicants only) in an approved area of student affairs or higher education.

Accreditation & Licensing

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission

Indiana Department of Education and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.


Students must be residing in either the United States or Canada, with the exception of U.S. military and State Department personnel and their family members with APO/FPO addresses.