Find out more about Grand Canyon University

Master of Education in Special Education / Cross-Categorical

Program Details

Master of Education in Special Education (Does not lead to initial teacher licensure). Educational reforms and legislation regarding individuals with learning disabilities will contribute to an increased demand for Special Education Teachers. This cross-categorical degree program is designed for any individual interested in the education of children with special needs in the K–12 setting, but who must postpone student teaching, or who does not seek a teaching certificate. Participants are responsible for contacting their state department of education for certification requirements and program approval. In addition, participants should consult the Grand Canyon University Catalog and academic advisor to obtain current information about teacher credentialing programs. Courses in this state and regionally accredited program are taught by experts in their respective fields who share knowledge and experience in areas of learning disabilities, emotional and behavioral disabilities, and other physical and cognitive impairments. Opportunities are provided to apply concepts, theories, and research throughout the program. Assignments within each course guide teacher candidates through observational and practice-based experiences. Participants must have access to a K–12 special education classroom to complete the program assignments. Graduates of the program are prepared to work with special needs populations and implement individualized educational plans to accommodate the students’ various learning needs. Participants are also prepared to move into a student teaching/credentialing component with Grand Canyon University should they wish to change to the Eligible version of the program prior to the posting of their degree.


This program requires practicum/field experience hours.

  • Accredited bachelor’s degree from a GCU-approved institution
  • A 2.8 GPA or higher

Note: This program does not lead to teacher or principal licensure.

Accreditation & Licensing

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission