This MEd in Secondary Education focuses on teaching social studies, the arts and language arts in grades 6-12. This program is not intended for licensure, but can be used to improve your current skillset or to seek teaching positions at private schools. Coursework is designed with the adolescent learner at its core. You’ll enhance your communication skills and critical thinking to effectively teach humanities content to this age group. Strategies for classroom engagement and management are also taught. Curriculum usually includes:
- Adolescent Development & Psychology
- Integrating Humanities Methods for Middle & High School Instruction
- Creating & Managing Engaging Learning Environments
This graduate degree incorporates student teaching, so you can be well prepared to lead your own classroom. Alongside a Christian worldview, Grand Canyon emphasizes professional ethics.
% OnlineMostly Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Grand Canyon University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA2.8 or above (4.0 scale)
Official College Transcript(s)
- This program requires practicum/field experience hours.
- This program does not lead to teacher or principal licensure.