Georgia Southwestern State University, a four-year unit of the University System of Georgia, was founded in 1906 as the Third Agricultural and Mechanical School. In 1964, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia authorized Georgia Southwestern College to begin its transition to a four-year degree-granting institution. This action resulted in the development of baccalaureate programs, and the first bachelor's degrees were conferred in 1968. The name of the institution was changed to Georgia Southwestern State University in 1996, followed by the addition of master’s degrees.
The university offers certificates, bachelor's degrees, and master's degrees within five schools and colleges:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- School of Business Administration
- School of Nursing
- School of Computing and Mathematics
- School of Education
As part of its mission to cultivate excellence in learning and teaching, Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW) offers both courses and degree programs in which the majority of the instructional interaction occurs when student and instructor are separated geographically.
Accreditation & Licensing
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges