Georgetown University's online Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program, transforms today's best professionals into rising industry leaders. Created by the distinguished faculty of the McDonough School of Business, this world-class curriculum and revolutionary online learning platform deliver the essential skills to take your finance career to the next level.
As an MSF student, you learn firsthand from a faculty of accomplished scholars and teachers. Our program provides working professionals, from anywhere in the world, the opportunity to deepen their business and technical finance skills, and experience a Georgetown University education where faculty are committed to high-quality teaching.
Engage in a finance degree program that offers a curriculum of intensive coursework, real-world applications, a global outlook, and a commitment to ethical values. When you graduate from Georgetown University with your MSF degree, you will be on your way to taking your place among global financial leaders with a library of knowledge that includes:
- The ability to value stocks, bonds, and derivatives using cutting-edge valuation methods
- A comprehensive understanding of how to evaluate corporate investment projects in a strategic context
- An appreciation for the importance of ethical decision making
- The ability to construct an efficient portfolio using the latest techniques for estimating expected returns and risks
- A thorough understanding of how markets work according to the Efficient Market Hypothesis and the alternative hypothesis of Behavioral Finance
- The ability to blend sophisticated modeling with a global mindset in the management of corporate risks
The 21-month MSF program consists of 32 credits:
- Six Core Courses
- Four Selective Courses
- Orientation Residency – July of first year prior to program start
- A Weeklong On-site Residency – October of first year
- Capstone Global Consulting Project – May of second year
A Format to Match Your Learning Style
Our technology-intensive program has flipped the classroom in an innovative way. Each week, students work through the course material – at a time of their choosing – using our Anytime Media platform. The primary component of this technology is the Professor Presentations, a sequential series of high-fidelity videos in which professors speak directly to students with a virtual whiteboard. Each Professor Presentation comes with a searchable transcript so students can find key words or phrases and, with one click, be taken to the corresponding moment in the video. Our Anytime Media also consists of practice problems, team discussion posts, and other material.
The weekly culmination of each course unit is the 90-minute MSFLive evening session where students participate in a case discussion with their professor and classmates. Cases involve real-world business problems faced by actual firms and require students to apply their assigned readings and Anytime Media. Moreover, students often use what they have learned to address pressing business challenges in their daily work.
This finance degree is enhanced with on-site and in-the-field components to further immerse you in the vibrant Georgetown University community of students, scholars, faculty, professionals, and policymakers. During the weeklong on-site residency, students work on a case competition alongside fellow students and McDonough School of Business faculty. As a McDonough student, you are welcome to visit campus for seminars, conferences, and talks featuring our renowned faculty and their colleagues from other leading universities, as well as, prestigious alumni and top financial professionals from around the world.
In the capstone Global Consulting Project, students apply their coursework and skills to conduct a real-world consulting project for an international firm and take their final presentation abroad in a weeklong visit to the client's country. The capstone project marks the end of our students' journey to their MSF degree. It also provides an invaluable and relevant experience that students can immediately apply to their current or upcoming career in finance.
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals well acquainted with the applicant’s professional experience
- Official transcripts
- Video conference Interview (interviews typically last 5-10 minutes)
- A bachelors degree is required
During the weeklong on-site residency, students work on a case competition alongside fellow students and McDonough School of Business faculty.
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
School Accreditation Statement
Middle States Commission on Higher Education