The Master of Science in Nursing with a concentration in Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist is designed for nurses who are seeking to advance their careers and enter a more specialized field. With this online adult gerontology degree, you complete a curriculum featuring nationally approved clinical nurse specialist competencies in the areas of adult and gerontology nursing. Courses emphasize advanced theoretical knowledge and practice skills that will improve patient care. In addition to core courses and clinical core courses, students also complete these concentration specialty courses:
- Human Physiology and Pathophysiology for Advanced Nursing Practice
- Concepts of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention for Advanced Nursing Practice
- Health Assessment for Advanced Nursing Practice
- Clinical Pharmacology for Advanced Nursing Practice
In as little as two years of full-time study or three and a half years of part-time study, RNs will be prepared for careers as clinicians, educators, clinical consultants, researchers, leaders, and more in adult gerontology.
Graduates of this online adult gerontology degree are eligible to sit for the national certification examination as a Clinical Nurse Specialist.
% OnlineMostly Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
School Accreditation & Licensing
East Carolina University is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA2.7 or above (4.0 scale)
Interview, Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Statement of Purpose/Intent
- An unencumbered license from North Carolina (or a compact state) to practice as a registered nurse
- Some on campus or other face-to-face attendance may be required.