Project managers play an increasingly strategic role within their companies and are being recognized as "leadership track" employees. This online IT-focused Project Management doctoral program offers the opportunity to develop the advanced IT, project management and business knowledge of a leader. The specialization is also designed to help you develop solid research skills, culminating in a dissertation that advances the body of knowledge in this field.
With your PhD in IT Project Management from Capella, you'll learn to formulate new theoretical constructs to advance knowledge in the area of information technology, conduct scholarly research, and create new applications for improving practice. Additionally, you'll know how to think critically about information technology problems and solutions, and communicate effectively.
Common jobs with an online PhD in IT Project Management include faculty member, senior information technology project manager, lead project manager, director of project management, senior consultant or vice president of project management. Potential workplaces include: land-based or online college or university, corporation, consulting firm, military, government agency or nonprofit organization.
In addition to your online courses, you will attend three on-campus residencies.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements. Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Doctoral students must have a master’s degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs (PMI-GAC)
The following program specializations are accredited by the Project Management Institute (PMI) Global Accreditation Center for Project Management (PMI-GAC). (The FlexPath option for the project management specializations is not accredited by PMI-GAC.)
- BS in Business—Project Management
- BS in Information Technology—Project Management
- MBA—Project Management
- MS in Information Technology—Project Management
- PhD in Information Technology—Project Management