This program is not designed for teacher certification, licensure or endorsement.
Capella University's online PhD in Higher Education Leadership program prepares you to lead post-secondary education organizations. Through advanced coursework, as well as your own doctoral research, you can develop the knowledge and critical-thinking skills to be a bold, innovative and ethical leader.
Your PhD in Higher Education Leadership program includes 4 integrated components: online coursework, in-person experiences (called residencies), comprehensive exams, and dissertation. Each facet of your education builds on the others to take you through your program and to your goal of a PhD.
With your PhD in Leadership for Higher Education from Capella, you'll be prepared to communicate effectively, integrate technology, lead and manage change in higher education organizations, and develop and manage resources of higher education organizations.
Common jobs with an online PhD in Leadership for Higher Education include president, provost, faculty development director or faculty member. Potential workplaces include: community or technical college, research and policy organization, land-based or online university, for-profit institution or volunteer program.
This program requires three on-campus dissertation seminars.
For current K-12 professionals interested in extending their education with a graduate degree. Capella University education programs do not lead to initial teacher licensure.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Master's Degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
Capella University's Educator Preparation Provider (EPP) is accredited based on the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) Standards through 2024.