PhD - Emergency Management
Complex emergency situations call for quick-thinking professionals who are ready to respond at a moment’s notice. Knowing what to do and when to do it can make all the difference when it comes to saving lives, protecting property and the environment, and helping a community return to normal after a crisis. Professionals who have learned to make evidence-based decisions and apply best practices consistently increase their value as leaders and advance the profession of Emergency Management.
Contribute to the profession by creating new knowledge in the field while growing your leadership and communications skills with Capella University’s online PhD in Emergency Management. This program can show you the best approaches for applying your unique style of leadership to addressing the issues and crises faced by our communities every day.
- Learning online doesn’t mean learning alone. In Capella’s PhD in Emergency Management, you work with a team of experts who can help you develop foundational skills you’ll need to be successful throughout the program—and in your career.
- Discover, develop and strengthen your unique leadership style. Capella offers you self-assessment and interactive, consistent contacts with faculty who can help you discover and develop your leadership skills.
- Gain credible, concrete proof that you’re learning and developing market-ready skills. Complete personal assessments that will help you identify your strengths and your opportunities for improvement.
- Engage in immersive simulations. Rich media and simulated real-world scenarios help you apply theory and practice critical thinking to solve problems.
- Achieve your goals faster, saving time and money. Apply credits earned in prior graduate-level work to a doctoral program.
- All of the skills you learn apply directly to your career path. You will have the chance to apply a research-based understanding of the field and develop an approach to decision-making about mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
As you engage with your faculty, classmates, and coaching staff, you will back up your professional perspective with theory and critical thinking to make the right decisions under pressure. And you’ll work with our immersive, one-of-a-kind simulation tool, a controlled online environment for encountering real-world challenges and outcomes.
Capella’s PhD in Emergency Management offers a strong balance of theory, research, and application, growing your decision-making capabilities and giving you the skill set that employers want to see. Your research experience will be grounded in credit-bearing dissertation research seminars, which allow you to start your dissertation from the very beginning of your PhD program. This in turn can save you time and money by helping you complete your degree faster.
Our expert faculty have extensive emergency management experience. All hold PhDs in this field, and many are also Certified Emergency Managers, providing you with real-world, balanced perspectives on the use of theory and practice. In addition, they enjoy affiliation with organizations such as FEMA, IAEM, various state agencies, private consulting firms, the U.S. armed forces, and others.
Your PhD in Emergency Management program includes 4 integrated components: online coursework, in-person experiences (called residencies), comprehensive exams, and dissertation. Each facet of your education builds on the others to take you through your program and to your goal of a PhD.
A key aspect of this program is implementation and testing of emergency management theory,
Degree Level: Doctorate
Delivery Format: Mostly Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Higher Learning Commission: www.hlcommission.org.
- Capella University, Capella Tower, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Master's Degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers both foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so that what you’re learning in your courses is immediately applicable to your career goals.
Respected programs that move you forward
Organizations around the world have acknowledged Capella’s commitment to quality education with accreditations, state approvals, certifications, awards, recognitions, and designations. Right now, more than 37,000 students are expanding their opportunities with Capella programs.
Online education. Two ways.
Our FlexPath format lets you set your own deadlines and move at your own pace. Our GuidedPath format offers extra structure for those who need it.
Explore options in key professions
- Criminal Justice
- Education (K–12 & Higher Education)
- Emergency Management
- Health Care Administration
- Human Services
- Information Assurance and Security
- Information Technology
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Social Work
Multiple ways to help you save
- Employer and association discounts
- Military discounts
- Transfer credit
- Streamlined programs
- Guides (online resource)
- Credit for real-world learning
Online flexibility and personalized support
At Capella, online learning means you can take your courseroom anywhere, learning when and where it fits your life. And if you need backup, support services are available every step of the way.
Ready to go further?
Connect with an enrollment counselor to discuss your education options. Select a program of interest and request information about a degree program to advance your career.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.
Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, endorsement, certification, authorization, other professional credentials, or salary advancement. State regulations and professional credential standards vary. It is the learner’s responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their states and professional associations. For more information on licensure, see the Licensure section on the School’s website. Enrollment restrictions and/or other restrictions may apply to certain programs. Contact Capella University for more information.www.capellaresults.com