MSN - Nursing Informatics (CCNE-accredited)
Capella’s flexible Master’s in Nursing Informatics is designed to fit around your busy schedule. This specialization prepares you to play an integral role in the management of health information systems in your organization by leveraging your knowledge of how health systems function, data analysis, driving patient functions, clinical workflow, product management and much more. Gain the most relevant skills and knowledge you need to succeed with a Master’s in Nursing Informatics.
Capella’s CCNE-accredited Master’s in Nursing Informatics curriculum is aligned to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Essentials, Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) competencies, and Technology Informatics Guiding Education Reform (TIGER) Initiative Informatics competencies. Additionally, Capella is a proud partner of the American Nurses Association. ANA has chosen Capella as a partner on the ANA Leadership Institute, providing nurse leadership development in a flexible format for nurses at the bedside or in the boardroom.
- Save Time and Money: There are a multitude of saving options available including employer discounts and military benefits, as well as the flexibility to choose up to 3 courses per quarter.
- Practice Immersion: In addition to your other coursework, the Master’s in Nursing Informatics program includes a flexible practice immersion, allowing for the immediate applicability of knowledge gained in the classroom.
- Online Learning: At Capella, you will enjoy the flexibility of earning your MSN in Nursing Informatics degree on a schedule that fits your life. As everything is taught 100% online, you will have 24-hour access to your course room.
- Professionally Aligned: Capella’s competency-based education focuses on outcomes desired by today’s employers. You will develop the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to make change in the lives of your patients.
This program incorporates the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Nursing Informatics guidelines and resources, which will prepare graduates to sit for the RN-BC Nursing Informatics board certification exam upon completing their MSN Nursing Informatics degree. If you already hold the RN-BC Nursing informatics credential, you can earn up to 8 credits (2 courses)—saving you up to 6 months and more than $3,000.
In this program, you’ll have access to Vila Health™, an immersive, simulated system of health. This virtual lab—available only at Capella—allows you to practice real–world informatics situations and challenges first hand, including improving interoperability, clinical workflow, meaningful use initiatives, ICD–10, and population health.
You also have the opportunity to complete your Post–Baccalaureate Nursing Informatics certificate along the way to your MSN—allowing you to earn a marketable informatics credential in as little as 9 months.
With your Master's in Nursing Informatics, you'll prepare to lead the way in electronic health record (EHR) implementation, improve population health, and implement and demonstrate the meaningful use of information systems within a health care organization.
Common jobs with an online master’s in Nursing Informatics include clinical informatics coordinator, informatics nurse specialists, chief nursing information officer, regional director, clinical informatics, systems analyst, clinical systems team manager, health outcomes analytics manager, clinical workflow analyst, or project manager for EHR implementation.
Capella is an Academic Organizational Affiliate with Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS). HIMSS is a global, caused-based, nonprofit organization focused on bettering health through IT. Enrollment in this program provides you with a free HIMSS membership—a benefit available to individuals in any of our informatics programs.
Degree Level: Master
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Higher Learning Commission: www.hlcommission.org.
- Capella University, Capella Tower, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402.
The BSN, MSN, and DNP degree programs at Capella University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202.887.6791. http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Applicants must have a BSN degree from an accredited institution.
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Current, unrestricted RN license to practice in the United States (or its equivalent).
- One year of licensed RN work experience or current employment as an RN.
- Completion and submission of the RN License Verification Form.
- Arkansas residents must complete Arkansas general education requirements.
- RN license verification required.
- This program is not designed to prepare graduates for entry-level or advanced practice licensure as a nurse.
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers both foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so that what you’re learning in your courses is immediately applicable to your career goals.
Respected programs that move you forward
Organizations around the world have acknowledged Capella’s commitment to quality education with accreditations, state approvals, certifications, awards, recognitions, and designations. Right now, more than 37,000 students are expanding their opportunities with Capella programs.
Online education. Two ways.
Our FlexPath format lets you set your own deadlines and move at your own pace. Our GuidedPath format offers extra structure for those who need it.
Explore options in key professions
- Criminal Justice
- Education (K–12 & Higher Education)
- Emergency Management
- Health Care Administration
- Human Services
- Information Assurance and Security
- Information Technology
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Social Work
Multiple ways to help you save
- Employer and association discounts
- Military discounts
- Transfer credit
- Streamlined programs
- Guides (online resource)
- Credit for real-world learning
Online flexibility and personalized support
At Capella, online learning means you can take your courseroom anywhere, learning when and where it fits your life. And if you need backup, support services are available every step of the way.
Ready to go further?
Connect with an enrollment counselor to discuss your education options. Select a program of interest and request information about a degree program to advance your career.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.
Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, endorsement, certification, authorization, other professional credentials, or salary advancement. State regulations and professional credential standards vary. It is the learner’s responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their states and professional associations. For more information on licensure, see the Licensure section on the School’s website. Enrollment restrictions and/or other restrictions may apply to certain programs. Contact Capella University for more information.www.capellaresults.com