Help Young People Realize Their Dreams. Today’s K-12 students are faced with complex challenges—cyber bullying, relationship and self-esteem issues, drug use, anger management, sexual orientation, and more. With the CACREP-accredited, online Master in School Counseling program from Capella, you can learn to help these students transcend their difficulties and pursue their passions.
This program includes online coursework, residencies, and field experiences to help prepare you for a rewarding career with an expanding role in advocating for the personal, educational, and social needs of students.
For current K-12 professionals interested in extending their education with a graduate degree. Capella University education programs do not lead to initial teacher licensure.
The completion of two 7-day in-person residencies are required.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
Minimum level of education required:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Minimum grade point average of 2.7 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A 3-6 page essay
- Your résumé or curriculum vitae (CV)
Capella University’s Education Preparation Provider (EPP) unit is accredited based on the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards for a period of 8 years, from 10/22/2010 to 12/31/2018.
Capella University’s EPP is eligible for and will seek accreditation based on the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) Standards during fall 2017/spring 2018. CAEP is the single specialized accreditor for educator preparation, and administers NCATE accreditation.