MS - Health Care Security
The health care industry is under constant threat from accidental and intentional data breaches and malicious attacks. Cybersecurity professionals who can protect personal health care data are vital to the well-being of patients, health care institutions—and our society in general. With Capella’s online Master of Science in Information Assurance and Security, Health Care Security specialization, you can become part of the security infrastructure that serves this important and growing need.
The curriculum is designed around industry standards and provides students with the foundational information that contributes to the knowledge required to sit for the HealthCare Information Security and Privacy Practitioner (HCISPP®) and Certified in Healthcare Privacy and Security (CHPS®) exams. The core curriculum in this program includes a common body of knowledge represented in several leading security certifications, including CISSP®.
Guided by faculty with practical and academic experience in health care cybersecurity, you’ll learn how to:
- Analyze ethical, legal, and regulatory issues related to health care security, privacy, and compliance
- Implement physical and technical information safeguards in the health care environment
- Develop and apply investigative, compliance, and enforcement processes
- Develop best practices for information management of vital health care data
Capella University has been designated by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense (CAE IA/CD) for academic years 2014–2021.
Capella’s Health Care Security specialization was built to align with the NSA Health Care Security focus area, which earns graduates a digital badge. Digital badges can be shared on electronic resumes and social media platforms to validate your mastery of health care cybersecurity skills.
With your master’s degree in IAS, Health Care Security, you’ll be ready to apply expertise in health care data protection and take the lead in investigating incidents involving health care industry assets and personal data.
Common jobs with an online master’s in IAS, Health Care Security, include compliance officer, information security manager, risk analyst, or information technology manager in a health care environment, or health information manager.
Degree Level: Master
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Higher Learning Commission: www.hlcommission.org.
- Capella University, Capella Tower, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
Minimum level of education required:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Minimum grade point average of 2.3 or higher on a 4.0 scale
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers both foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so that what you’re learning in your courses is immediately applicable to your career goals.
Respected programs that move you forward
Organizations around the world have acknowledged Capella’s commitment to quality education with accreditations, state approvals, certifications, awards, recognitions, and designations. Right now, more than 37,000 students are expanding their opportunities with Capella programs.
Online education. Two ways.
Our FlexPath format lets you set your own deadlines and move at your own pace. Our GuidedPath format offers extra structure for those who need it.
Explore options in key professions
- Criminal Justice
- Education (K–12 & Higher Education)
- Emergency Management
- Health Care Administration
- Human Services
- Information Assurance and Security
- Information Technology
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Social Work
Multiple ways to help you save
- Employer and association discounts
- Military discounts
- Transfer credit
- Streamlined programs
- Guides (online resource)
- Credit for real-world learning
Online flexibility and personalized support
At Capella, online learning means you can take your courseroom anywhere, learning when and where it fits your life. And if you need backup, support services are available every step of the way.
Ready to go further?
Connect with an enrollment counselor to discuss your education options. Select a program of interest and request information about a degree program to advance your career.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.
Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, endorsement, certification, authorization, other professional credentials, or salary advancement. State regulations and professional credential standards vary. It is the learner’s responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their states and professional associations. For more information on licensure, see the Licensure section on the School’s website. Enrollment restrictions and/or other restrictions may apply to certain programs. Contact Capella University for more information.www.capellaresults.com