This specialization is not designed to meet licensure requirements for the social work professions.
Strengthen your ability to facilitate positive change in your community with Capella University's online Master's in Social & Community Services program. The curriculum is designed to increase your understanding of such critical issues as cultural awareness, utilization of community resources, social change, advocacy and public policy.
Students have the opportunity to experience Capella’s state-of-the-art simulation – Riverbend City. This tool provides an adaptable learning environment where you take on a leadership role while also learning to strengthen the collaboration skills most important to managing crises. You will engage in mission-based scenarios that are tied to discussions and assignments while addressing the general learning outcomes of: communication, research, professionalism, knowledge acquisition, and practice application.
With your Master's in Social and Community Services from Capella, you'll evaluate the theories and practices of the social and community services profession, and advocate for social change through the application of valid, reliable and ethical research. You'll also learn to think and write critically in the social and community services profession.
Common jobs with an online program in social and community services include community organizer, family specialist, generalist case manager, probation or correctional treatment specialist, program coordinator or program manager. Potential workplaces and fields include: aging/gerontology, child welfare/children's services, community organization, employment/occupational social services, international social services, management/administration, mental health/clinical social services or policy and planning.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
Minimum level of education required:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Minimum grade point average of 2.3 or higher on a 4.0 scale