This program is not designed for teacher certification, licensure or endorsement.
Capella University's online Education Degree Specialist (EdS) in Leadership in Educational Administration program prepares you for leadership in the P–12 field. This state-approved program is nationally recognized by the Educational Leadership Constituents Council (ELCC) and is one of several programs that make up Capella's Professional Education Unit, which has been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
With this program, you will choose an emphasis in School Leadership or District Leadership, allowing you to align your studies with your goals for leadership in the P–12 system. Upon successful completion, you'll have the knowledge and skills needed to lead at the school or district level and will be prepared to pursue licensure as a P–12 principal or superintendent.
With your EdS in Leadership in Educational Administration from Capella, you'll facilitate the development of a shared vision of learning, and lead the development of a culture of learning.
Common jobs with an online EdS in Leadership in Educational Administration include district or school leadership positions such as adjunct, part-time or full-time faculty, assessment and compliance coordinator, assistant superintendent, assistant principal curriculum director, director for student services, director of instructional technology, principal or superintendent. Potential workplaces include: alternative school, charter school, land-based or online college or university, P–12 public/private school, school district office or state education department.
For current K-12 professionals interested in extending their education with a graduate degree. Capella University education programs do not lead to initial teacher licensure.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Master's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or internally recognized institution
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- A teaching experience verification form that lists your teaching license and 3 years of licensed teaching experience
Capella University’s Education Preparation Provider (EPP) unit is accredited based on the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards for a period of 8 years, from 10/22/2010 to 12/31/2018.
Capella University’s EPP is eligible for and will seek accreditation based on the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) Standards during fall 2017/spring 2018. CAEP is the single specialized accreditor for educator preparation, and administers NCATE accreditation.