This program is not designed for teacher certification, licensure or endorsement.
Capella University's online doctorate in Educational Leadership program provides you with the skills to lead and affect change in schools. All of our online Doctor of Education (EdD) programs include curriculum dedicated to your chosen area of study along with leadership-focused courses. You'll acquire critical skills and knowledge in your field as well as the credentials you need to assume a leadership position in higher education.
Your coursework will cover such topics as finance, human resources, operations, change management, decision-making, curriculum and instruction improvement processes, cultural competency, and advocacy.
Typical participants in this program are often students looking to broaden their leadership and managerial capabilities; higher education faculty and P–12 teachers transitioning into administrative or leadership positions; and government, corporate and nonprofit leaders with positions focused on education.
With your online doctorate in Educational Leadership from Capella, you'll learn to lead and manage change in educational organizations through evidence-informed decision-making, exceptional communication, inquiry, and research to develop a culture of learning, diversity, inclusion, and equity.
Common jobs with an online EdD in Educational Leadership and Management include president, provost, vice president, director, and faculty member in the fields of P–12, adult or higher education. Potential workplaces include: P–12 public or private school, community or technical college, land-based or online university, state education department, nonprofit organization, government agency or research and policy organization.
For current K-12 professionals interested in extending their education with a graduate degree. Capella University education programs do not lead to initial teacher licensure.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Master's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or internally recognized institution
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Admission to the Educational Leadership and Management specialization requires learners to complete and submit the Cohort Auto-Registration Form
Capella University's Educator Preparation Provider (EPP) is accredited based on the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) Standards through 2024.