Project management supports companies in all their operations. In fact, businesses struggle to find leaders who can drive their organization to success. Capella has designed the Doctor of Information Technology (DIT) program with a Project Management specialization for project managers who want to step into this role, advance in their careers, and develop the critical thinking skills and competencies they need to become IT thought leaders.
From day one of your program, you will build your expertise in:
- Project, program, and portfolio management
- Risk management
- Project governance
- Portfolio optimization
Designed to be completed in less than three years, the IT Project Management doctoral program offers a streamlined learning experience, allowing you to complete your coursework and dissertation at the same time.
Everyone who obtains a doctoral degree from Capella is a scholar-practitioner—equipped with a deep understanding of foundational theory and how it applies directly to the current and future needs of their profession, as well as the skills and knowledge to research, teach, consult, and lead. While a PhD prepares you to perform research or teach, a DIT guides you toward a professional career in a leadership position.
Learn more about this program: when you request more information, we will match you with an enrollment counselor who specializes in your area of study. A doctoral degree in IT can enhance your position as a leader in your industry.
With a DIT in IT Project Management from Capella, you’ll develop skills to analyze multidisciplinary theories that inform and shape the practice of planning, executing, and closing a project. Upon the successful completion of your degree, you will be able to apply appropriate and ethical leadership practices to achieve expected outcomes, exhibit proficiency in communication, research, writing, and critical thinking skills applicable to professional and academic endeavors. Additionally, you’ll be capable of synthesizing project management research and practice, which can lead to the development of new knowledge for improved practices.
Common jobs with an online DIT in IT Project Management include consultant, education leader (professor, department head, dean, etc.), IT executive or director, or executive positions within the C-Suite: CIO, CTO, or CISO.
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- In addition to online courses, you will attend three four-day residential colloquia at specific stages in your program.
- Master's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Official master’s transcripts, minimum degree conferral grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale