As the demand increases for experts in IT and related areas, the pressure is building for more information technology educators who have a doctoral degree.
Meet the demand in this growing field: Capella’s online Doctor of Information Technology (DIT) degree with an IT Education specialization is designed to prepare you for post-secondary teaching in IT. Combining in-depth analysis, critical thinking, research, and scholarly writing with skills development in advanced teaching techniques and curriculum design, this IT Education doctoral degree program can be completed in less than three years, reducing the time and cost of finishing your degree.
From day one of your program, you will:
- Develop in-demand critical thinking skills
- Master analytical approaches to solve technology problems
- Connect each experience to your growth as an IT educator
- Learn to communicate effectively as a scholar-practitioner
Everyone who obtains a doctoral degree from Capella is a scholar-practitioner—equipped with a deep understanding of foundational theory and how it applies directly to the current and future needs of their profession, as well as the skills and knowledge to research, teach, consult, and lead.
While a PhD prepares you to perform research or teach, a DIT guides you toward a professional career in a leadership position. A doctoral degree in IT can enhance your position as a leader in your industry.
With a DIT in IT Education from Capella, you’ll gain advanced IT knowledge and skills, and develop solid research, scholarly writing, and advanced teaching abilities.
Common jobs with an online DIT in IT Education include consultant, education leader (professor, department head, dean, etc.), senior technical trainer/instructor, IT curriculum developer or certified trainer.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- In addition to online courses, you will attend three four-day residential colloquia at specific stages in your program.
- Master's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Official master’s transcripts, minimum degree conferral grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale